Make up Muse | Pat McGrath


Second blog post for this series 'Make up Muse' where I write about Make up Artist who I admire .
This week its the one & only Pat McGrath . A true make up legend . Pat McGrath has been called the most influential make up artist in the world by Vogue magazine editor & chief Anna Wintour . She never had any formal make up training but did a foundation art course in a college in England.



Her make up creations can only be described as a work of art . I have always been a fan of high fashion/editorial make up , its not always pretty but I like that .Its different , make up doesn't always have to be pretty .

I love the way she is so versatile with her looks she can create beautiful feminine looks or dramatic haute couture looks . She works mainly with her fingers , rarely using brushes .


She is very passionate about make up and was quoted saying 'I really love being a makeup artist. It never gets mundane or predictable and every shoot and show is different ' .


Every year she attends four fashion weeks(including couture) & throughout the year works with well known magazines (Vogue , Harpers Bazaar ), designers (Louis Vuitton , Dolce & Gabbana , Gucci) & make up brands (Max factor & Cover girl) on editorial shoots .

She is creative design director of Cover girl & Max Factor cosmetics . Before that she created a make up line for Armani in 1999.


In an interview with Vogue.com UK McGrath said "I'm influenced a lot by the fabrics that I see, the colours that are in the collections, and the girls' faces. It's always a challenge but that's the key - to make it different every time."

She is constantly travelling an takes thirty to fifty (yep , you did just read that right... meanwhile I struggle to get one bag to fit on the plane with Ryanair haha ) bags of materials, tools & reference materials with her  .

It would be an absolute dream to meet her one day . I took a lot of inspiration from her creations when I was in college studying make up artistry . If your on google images , search her name you wouldn't be disappointed she has a lot more amazing artistic looks .

Thanks for reading ,
Alannah x

No comments